Monday, April 18, 2011

Would We Adopt If We Could Have More?

Would we adopt if we could have more biological children?


I would in a second.  We can have more children.  I am confident of that... maybe not at this moment, but I truly feel like we will have more biological children.  I think this is a question that many people in our family wonder about what we are doing.  I think that they think we are adopting out of desperation for another child and I guess in many ways we are.  Isn't that how many of us view adoption?  I know I have wondered it.  I know I have wondered if couples were able to have biological children when I have heard that they are adopting.   


When we first started talking about adopting, years ago, it was more because we hadn't been able to add to our family biologically.  Even not too long ago it was partly because we wanted to bridge the age gap between our children and that still influences the ages of children we want.  (Our daughter is 7 1/2) 

But for me, adoption has always been amazing.  The idea has never been hard for me to fathom but it was not anywhere close to the norm when/where I grew up.  I have always wanted a huge family and I just assumed I would be popping out all the children myself!


But now... now that we have started the journey towards adopting... now that I have educated myself more... now that I have seen and heard more from families with bio and adopted children... now that I have felt like this is exactly what we are supposed to be doing... now that I feel like our child(ren) are just waiting for us...


Now, I cannot imagine not adopting. 

I hope and pray that this journey will have a happy ending- one with us and more children.  Adopted children.  Yes, to be a blessing to them, but also for them to be our blessing.  For them to be a blessing to the world with their faith, talents, love and generosity.  If that is hoping for too much... a simple smile every once in a while will be fine.

I hope and pray that our journey will be a testimony to others.  If we can do it, anyone can (and should- hopefully with God's grace)!
We are commanded by God to care for the orphans of the world. 

Which by the way do you know how many orphans there are in the world? 
I actually had no idea until I looked up the answer and maybe you do not know either.
There is an estimated 143 MILLION ORPHANS in the world today!

There are an estimated 6.7 billion people in the world with 1.2 of them in regions classified as more developed by the United Nations.   If we take the 1.2 billion population down to 1/5 of its original population, (the 4/5 accounts for children, the elderly, etc) we are left with the idea that if every 9.3 perfectly capable adults adopted an orphan there would be none left.  That would mean 3 in 14 couples.  In America alone, if one couple from every church adopted a child waiting in foster care there would be no children waiting for a home.  I know that we are not all called or cut out to adopt but 3:14 or 1:church is completely do-able.  Not so hard, right?  Too bad we haven't made adoption more of a priority. 

Here are some Bible verses about orphans:

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."
James 1:27

"Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families."
Psalms 68:5-6

"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows."
Isaiah 1:17

"And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me."
Matthew 18:5


This is an awesome song.  I never thought of it having to anything to do with adoption but now I will never think of it separate from adoption.  Watch it!!


So my question is... has anyone in your church adopted?  Does your church make it a priority to talk about the children in the world needing good homes?

No comments:

Post a Comment