Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Priceless Memory Jar

My Grandma is one of the most special people in the world to me and my fondest childhood memories are with her.  I wish I was able to spend more time with her and I really need to make that a priority. 

One of my absolute greatest blessings is that my daughter is always going to be able to hold onto her memories with them.  I cry now thinking of how I used to count the years as they went by waiting for her to be old enough to remember them in case they weren't around much longer.  It was so important for me that she be able to know such special people and I treasure the time they spend together.  My grandparents are in good health and should be around many more years, but I still need to treasure our time together, as I need to with everyone in my life. 

It has been really pressing on my heart lately to get to know my Grandma better.  When you are a kid so many of your conversations revolve around you and when you get older it seems like there is not ever enough time to sit and ask all the questions that you would like to know or should know.  Some of the questions on my list should be common knowledge but they aren't and I am ashamed that I do not know some of them. 

Soooo... I got this idea of a Memory Jar, I guess we can call it.  I filled it with questions that I wanted to know and with quotes about Grandmas.  I gave her a journal to write the answers in and the quotes are just to bring a little smile, laugh or happy cry to her day. 

When I think about why this would be important for me to have this is what I come up with:
1) People like to talk about themselves and in many cases write about their lives.  Ahem.  I hope that she will enjoy looking back on her life and reminise about the great times she has had and the wonderful family she has raised.
2) I would love to read a journal from a great grandparent that I never knew.  It would be a fun time capsule for what life was like "back in the day" and I will treasure the journal I get from my Grandma and will pass it on to future generations.
3) I love my grandma!  I love her and yet I don't really know her story.  These questions are not going to tell me her whole life history or her whole story, but they will give me a glipse of what is important and valuable to her.  I can't wait to read it!

I am going to make copies of the journal for the rest of the women (we are almost all women) in our family.  I think that I am going to ask each of them to write a couple memories/favorite qualities/etc down for her to refill the jar up once she is done with the questions.  Any other ideas on how we can give this all back to her?  Maybe a collage of our memories? 

The questions are below and the link above has the quotes I used.  Yes this is an old mayo jar, which makes this such an inexpensive, practically free, Mother's Day present.  It woud be perfect for a mom also!  I just used some scrapbooking paper to make the decorations, but you could use whatever you have laying around.  I think it would be cute to wrap it in fabric... just make sure that you don't obstruct opening the jar.  It would be great for birthdays, Grandparent's Day, Christmas, Anniversaries, or just because.   


How did you meet Grandpa?
What did you first think of Grandpa?
What was your first visit like with Grandpa's parents?
Did your parents and Grandpa's parents meet and get along?
How did Grandpa ask you to marry him?
What was one thing you were really afraid of doing that you did anyways?
What makes you afraid?
Where did you want to live when you were younger?
What did you want to be when you grew up?
What is one of your happiest memories?
What's your favorite place in nature?  What is your favorite flower?  Tree?
What are your favorite sounds?
What are your favorite smells?
What's one of the most meaningful gifts you have ever received?
What's one of the most loving things someone has done for you?
What's one of the most loving things you've ever done for someone?
What music, poetry, art, books or movies have most inspired you and why?
What's one of the best places you've ever traveled?
What's one place you'd still like to visit and why?
If you only had 6 months left to live what would you want to be sure to experience?
What's your favorite prayer and/or Bible verse?
Where did your parents get your name?
What are you most grateful for?  Why?  Count your blessings.  Name 10.
What's the best compliment anyone has ever paid you?
What's one of the nicest things you've ever done for yourself?
What do you value most in yourself?  What do you value most in Grandpa?
What contribution in your life are you most proud of?
What is one of your favorite memories/things/qualities of ____ (each child and grandchild)?
What is one of your favorite memories/things/qualities of each of your Grandmas?
What is the most important advice or wisdoms you have for life?  Marriage?  Motherhood?
What is the most important legacy you wish to leave behind?


I'm linked up to share other homemade Mother's Day gifts.  The link is that little box... I can't seem to make it any bigger :)
”delightinginthedays.com”

No comments:

Post a Comment