Friday, April 22, 2011

I'm Having Trouble With The Good On This Friday

I actually have BIG issues with calling this Friday- Good Friday.  Yes, I understand that it is good that he died for our sins so that we may have life with Him in Heaven.  Yes, I understand that on the 3rd day He will rise.  But... for me calling it Good makes it about me, once again.  It makes it all about me that I am one of the ones He died for.  Me.  He was treated in ways that words cannot describe for meThe perfect man.  God incarnate.  I put Him through that just so that my undeserving self could have the chance of eternal life.  It is not a Good Friday to me.  It is a sad, sad, sad Friday... that He would even need to do what He did.  That He would have to be treated the way He was for me all while being mocked and ridiculed by the very people He was suffering and dying for... me.  

Ask someone why this Friday is called Good Friday and they will tell you it is because Jesus died for our sins.  For me.  Which He did, of course, but isn't it like saying "It is ok that Jesus died the way He did because it means that I can have a chance of eternal life."  It is not ok.  It is not good.  It is sad and wrong.  The wrong way of viewing the day.  

I just looked up where the Good came from and here is what I found: There are two possible origins for the name "Good Friday". The first may have come from the Gallican Church in Gaul (modern-day France and Germany). The name "Gute Freitag" is Germanic in origin and literally means "good" or "holy" Friday. The second possibility is a variation on the name "God's Friday," where the word "good" was used to replace the word "God," which was often viewed as too holy to be spoken aloud.

Much better, right?  It is a Holy day.  It is God's Friday.  I love that.  It is not a Good Friday.  It is God's Holy Friday.  We are the ones, who got the meaning construed.  Well, maybe you haven't, but I know that I was never comfortable calling this day Good, but I would give that same answer as to why it was called a good day.  Again, yes unbelievable good came out of it but I don't want to justify His suffering in any way.  I am not deserving and neither are you.  None of us are deserving of His love.  Ever.
 

These videos are not on YouTube and I don't know how to put other videos in so please 1) let me know if you know and 2) WATCH them please!  The first two on the link... Feel My Love and Lay Them Down.  I suggest them in that order also :) 

http://vimeo.com/22565767
http://vimeo.com/22565823

No comments:

Post a Comment